I don’t think anyone wants to be one of a hundred colors in a box.
# she is peggy olsen and she wants to smoke marijuana # no one on the corner has swagga like peggy # mad men # peggy olsen # awesome ladies being awesome week
The Blue Dress - Mad Men 2.07 + 6.05
# don't matter what haters say # betty draper is still better than them # mad men # betty draper # awesome ladies being awesome week
Mad Men in Westeros
» Peggy Olson in House Targaryen
(adaptable, ambitious, confident, creative)
# YES # THIS IS PERFECT # peggy olsen # mad men # game of thrones # when fandoms collide # the dream is collapsing
Feels Post: TV Shows Currently Airing Are Fucking Fantastic
I was reading this article, posted by someone, that features a homemade video of whom they would pick for Emmy nominations. While I don’t watch many of the shows listed, and while I certainly don’t think that Modern Family is great enough that three of their actors are deserving of Emmy nominations, watching that video really just put into perspective how fucking AMAZING television is today.
# i just really love tv shows # A LOT # in case that is not obvious # there is some good tv on these days # and i feel sorry for the people who are too stuck on the past to realize it # tv shows # meta # boardwalk empire # buffy the vampire slayer # mad men # game of thrones # parks and recreation # spartacus # the walking dead # THERE ARE A LOT OF GOOD TV SHOWS IN CASE ANYONE MISSED THE POINT OF THIS POST
# excuse me mad men writers # but i thought this was the betty draper show # it needs to be the betty draper show # fix this nonsense before next season # because i need my weekly dose of betty draper # mad men # betty draper
# peggy olsen cannot believe your shit # i know peggy # i know # everyone is a moron except for you # mad men # peggy olsen # gpoy
I think it’s possible to take the view that both Don and Lane screwed up. Yes, they lost a major account with North American Aviation because of Don’s lies and secret identity. Yes, SCDP could have flourished with such a huge account. Don has indirectly caused the firm to financially struggle, but he did not cause Lane’s death for the following reasons.
1. Lane made the choice to embezzle. He could have gone to Don at any time and explained his situation, and Don probably would have helped him. Not only did he offer to cover up for Lane once the truth was revealed, but remember when they started the firm, and Pete couldn’t afford the cost of partnership? Don paid for that without any reservations. Don gave money to someone that he absolutely despises; I have no doubt that if Lane, someone that Don actually respected, had asked, Don would have helped him. Which leads into point #2.
2. It was Lane’s own pride that was his ultimate undoing. It was Lane’s own sense of propriety and pride that allowed him to make the choice to embezzle, because he was too embarrassed and ashamed to admit that he needed help. Lane is a man that is haunted by expectation, placed on him from both his father, his wife, his co-workers. The idea of not being able to meet these expectations crushed him, and ultimately proved to be too much weight for him to bear. He could not handle the idea of reaching out for help, so consumed with the idea of being perfect, that he felt he had no choice but to embezzle, and he felt he had no choice but to end his life before his shame could be made public.
And on that note, I do believe that Don’s comments to Lane about moving on from the situation and using it as means to create a new identity may have contributed to Lane’s feelings of hopelessness, but again, that doesn’t mean Don is to blame. There was absolutely no way for Don to know that his words would have had the effect on Lane that they did. It’s not a secret that Don operates on a COMPLETELY different plane than those around him (other than Peggy, which is why they are platonic soulmates). Because of their different experiences, upbringings, and varying amounts of privilege, Don views his mistakes as catalysts to forge a new identity, whereas Lane views his mistakes as resounding proof that he is worthless. Don is always ready to shed his skin and take on a new identity, and seems to relish the opportunity to do so. But Lane? Lane is so concerned with the idea of an identity that the potential loss of said identity is enough to drive him to suicide.
So in the end, considering how selfish, self-absorbed, and manipulative Don is, this is the one instance in which I cannot blame him for Lane’s suicide. It is tragic, it didn’t have to happen this way, but for once, Don’s not the bad guy here. No one is.
# i'm the first to call don out # but this is not an instance where he's to blame # in fact i think don was very GENEROUS and as compassionate as could be # mad men # meta
# i wanna party with joan holloway # yes please and thank you # mad men
1. I HATE DON DRAPER
Okay, this might be an exaggeration, but seriously. I REALLY KINDA HATE DON DRAPER. I don’t hate Jon Hamm, because Jon Hamm is lovely, but Don Draper is seriously a ginormous piece of shit. The first 3 seasons, I was literally waiting for him to get off my screen so I could see my bbs Betty and Joan and Peggy and Sal and Ken and Pete. From season 4 to now, that hate has lessened. I still hate him, but I kinda feel sorry for him because he’s such a giant fucking knob that is never going to learn how to stop destroying HIMSELF and everyone around.
In my more vicious moments, I agree with you wholeheartedly. Sadly, a lot of the time he fascinates and charms me, and then I forget what a douchenozzle he is. Season 2 and the first half of S5 seriously tested me, though.
2. I’m not majorly into Roger/Joan. She can do better. She can do way better.
I ship it like a mad thing, and I think the reason why is because I like my ships fucked-up and a little illicit. Mostly, I think they’re VERY pretty together, and while she shouldn’t have to, she makes him almost a real human being.
3. Actually, I’m not fond of Roger in general. John Slattery is great, but Roger is kinda…boring to me.
I dislike Betty, you dislike Roger. The universe must balance.
4. I love Pete. There, I said it. I love, love, love Pete. I love Pete because he’s completely irredeemable, and I love Pete because VK plays him so goddamn well.
… you know my feelings on Peter Campbell. But I do agree that VK is excellent at playing him, all of his horribleness.
UNPOPULAR FEMINIST WRESTLING FAN OPINIONS? I HAVE THEM.
1. I disliked Lita when she first debuted, I disliked Lita when she rose to prominence, and I still dislike Lita to this day. I don’t think she was that great in the ring, I don’t think she had a charismatic character, and I think she’s vastly overrated as a performer. Although I’m sure she’s probably a nice person and was totally justified when it came to the Matt Hardy fiasco.
I think Lita appealed to a lot of younger girls; I knew girls who would never have watched wrestling in a billion years if not for Lita and the Hardys. She was that kind of “safe” punk rock girl, tattooed and edgy, that teenage girls wanted to emulate, and she had a hot boyfriend. She definitely wasn’t that great in the ring - there are obviously a bunch of women with similar lucha libre training that were and are doing way more innovative moves - but she was using a wrestling style that no women in WWE at the time were using. How many times did you see a lady bust out a Frankensteiner or a moonsault before Lita? And how many after her?
2. A part of me really loves Daniel Bryan/AJ together. I still have a buttload of issues with the mental abuse angle, but I think she and D Bry have way more chemistry than Punk and AJ. Probably because I know that Punk is such an asshole outside of the ring. But even though I’d like for the three of them to become a power threesome couple, if they reveal that D Bry and AJ were in cahoots all along, I will flip my SHIT with joy.
COSIGNED. I’ve been dying for the reveal that DBD and AJ were playing the long con on Punk and Kane. I just want her to have power and agency, not be “the crazy chick” or abused by DBD.
3. In terms of character and charisma, I think Stephanie McMahon is a contender for the best Diva in that category. Obviously not when it comes to in-ring skills, but the way she could, and still can, command a crowd is something that other Divas should study.
YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. I would rank Stephanie as one of the best heel Divas of all time. She wasn’t as effective a face; she faded behind Taker and Shane and Test, and later Heyman and Lesnar. But as a heel, she garnered some of the hottest and most legit heat I can remember a woman getting. And it wasn’t all “SLUT SLUT SLUT”, people hating on her for being a skank who kissed dudes - it was people hating her for her role as Hunter’s evil partner or the evil co-owner of the Alliance.
4. I actually violently dislike romantic storylines between the male and female wrestlers. There are a few exceptions to this (mainly the HBK/Sherri/Rick Martel storyline, and there are aspects of the Bryan/AJ angle I like), but for the most part, I really cannot stand when they pair male and female talent together.
I was stupidly fond of the McMahon-Helmsley Regime, because of how insanely talented Steph and Hunter are, and the fake-pregnancy storyline was cheesy guilty goodness. And my little Smoochy Dreamer heart loved any time Chris Jericho and Steph got within bickering distance.
AHHHHH HBK/SHERRI. HOW I WISH I WAS A FAN WHEN THAT SHIT WAS GOING DOWN, I WOULD HAVE BEEN ALL OVER IT.
1. It’s just depressing for me to watch Don these days. Whereas before I filled with an insane amount of righteous rage, now it’s just depressing. Once it finally dawned on me that while Don may be awful to everyone else, he is the absolute WORST to himself, it’s just exhausting to watch him. Mad Men itself is exhausting to watch because it leaves me with such a heavy feeling. That’s why I was thrilled when Peggy left SCDP, because even though I will miss seeing her in every episode, it was just nice for at least ONE character on that show to move on.
2. I just don’t think they have a lot of chemistry? To be fair, I find that the most interesting pairings on the show are the platonic or family pairings; PEGGY/DON BEING NUMBER ONE OF COURSE. Don/Joan, Peggy/Ken, Don/Roger, Betty/Sally (oh my fucking God, do I love Betty/Sally scenes), Peggy/Joan, even Joan/Pete if they delve more deeply into it. The only romantic pairing I’ve come close to shipping is Pete/Trudy, and I can’t even do that whole-heartedly because Pete is such a cock knocker.
3. LOL, yes, we can continue on with our mutual Betty-Stanning and Roger-Stanning selves.
4. Pete is such a tool, but goddamn I love that fucking tool. I really love characters that are terrible people (i.e. Betty, although I maintain she is NOT as terrible as a lot of people think she is). And I don’t care at all if Pete is ever redeemed. I will happily watch the entirety of Mad Men knowing that Pete Campbell forever remains a selfish, slimy asshole. In the hands of a lesser actor, I would probably hate Pete, but Vincent Kartheiser is a motherfucking MASTER at his craft and makes every second of Pete’s vile behavior suspenseful, engaging, and a complete joy to watch.
1. This is true, Lita was utilizing moves that at the time, was not used often by other female wrestlers in WWE. I just found her persona to be so boring, like I actually experienced second-hand embarrassment watching hers and the Hardy Boyz’ entrances. The flailing and the spasming was just ridiculous, and as an alienated little punk rock/gawth girl during that time, they felt incredibly try-hard to me. I also feel Jeff Hardy is SUPREMELY FUCKING OVERRATED and was only interesting as a foil to Punk during the Straight Edge Messiah days, before he turned into Hobo CM Jesus Punk.
2. I am still hoping against hope that AJ and Bryan are pulling the long con. I desperately need for the two of them to have plotted this from the very beginning as means to take over the company. This, of course, would have worked better if they had focused on AJ taking out her rage and frustration on her actual competition and winning the Divas championship. I like the AJ/Punk/Bryan story (minus the fuckery of last night, Jesus Christ what the fuck was that), but I feel that WWE once missed the boat on what could have been a fantastic, engaging, and multi-layered story that not only changes the face of wrestling, but also acts as commentary on gender relations as well. I don’t know, maybe it’s because I love D Bry so much and he’s such a nice person IRL and while he’s probably enjoying the creative freedom and the opportunity it probably really bothered him to play the role of the abusive boyfriend because he IS so nice. But it just bothers me so much because I want to see AJ and Bryan together due to their amazing chemistry, but at the same time, WWE really ruined that with the abuse angle.
And man, don’t even get me STARTED on Punk’s part in this triangle, the ranting I want to unleash could power the entire state of Indiana for an entire YEAR.
3. Ugh god I love Stephanie she is the queen I miss her so much. I really believe that seeing the reaction Stephanie got from the fans helped hone my feminism. Because here I was, 15 or 16 years old, listening to all the dood fans call her a slut and a whore, and the entire time I would think, “Wait a minute. Why is she a whore? Her dad offered her up as a sacrifice to the Undertaker, why shouldn’t she be angry and get together with the guy who has made it his life’s mission to terrorize her dad?” Also, I thought she looked great (as great as one can look in the late 90’s with all that bad fashion sense) and didn’t appear “slutty” to me at all. I think she could have done so much more if WWE knew how to write lady characters correctly, but she was amazing with what she had.
4. Okay, I forgot to mention Jericho/Steph because HOLY GAWD TALK ABOUT MOTHERFUCKING CHEMISTRY JESUS H CHRIST DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY TIMES I WANTED TO SCREAM AT MY TV FOR THEM TO GET A ROOM AND GET ALL THAT TENSION OUT AND IF TUMBLR AND A03 EXISTED AT THAT TIME I PROBABLY WOULD REBLOGGED EVERY SINGLE GIF AND WROTE FANFIC AND CRIED UGLY TEARS OF BLOOD READING ALL THE FANFIC IT WOULD HAVE BEEN AWFUL.
And speaking as someone who WAS a fan during the time and DID see HBK/Sherri/Rick Martel unfold, it was glorious. I always wanted to be Sensational Sherri (I still do), but man, I never wanted to be her more than I did during that fucking storyline.