I feel like a lot of the time, [Tumblr] feels liking male characters is a rule, while female characters are just the exception. In a way, they have to prove something to be liked and go the extra mile, whereas male characters merely exist as objects of amiability until proven otherwise.
I think this is painstakingly true no matter what the forum (Tumblr, Livejournal, Television Without Pity, ONTD, any place where the discussion of characters take place).
I will say, though, that I’m the complete opposite. A female character has to do something really, really, really shitty and terrible in order for me to dislike them, and even then, there’s an 85% chance I’ll still like them anyway. Male characters? They have to prove themselves to be interesting and I will always side-eye male characters before I will a female character.
# because # THE PATRIARCHY # and all that # male characters get side eyes because they're written by men and are usually manifestations of what men wish they could be # which is powerful and above any and all consequences # also take into account that men's stories have been told since the history of FOREVER # so i pay close attention to the ladies and support the ladies # fandom # the male gaze # internal misogyny # i blame the motherfucking patriarchy
- dimwen likes this
- xoxogossipcourf likes this
- mermaids-indians-pirates reblogged this from lostwithme and added:
- lostwithme reblogged this from pas-de-chat
- pinkmanharrow likes this
- saintofsnark likes this
- avacrowders likes this
- ifeltyourshape likes this
- red-sky reblogged this from magsrohan and added:
- guy-patterson likes this
- shes-a-voodoo-child reblogged this from pas-de-chat
- alicechalice reblogged this from pas-de-chat
- manueluv said: Not just tumblr i believe, but yeah it’s very obvious on tumblr. no matter how awful male characters are, they can always be excused.
- romanovasledger likes this
- 08just-an-echo80 likes this
- manueluv likes this
- magsrohan reblogged this from pas-de-chat
- pas-de-chat posted this